Makeup Tutorial: Red Smoky Eye for Chinese New Year!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share with you a simple tutorial today. It's something I've never tried - a red smoky eye. It's probably not for everyone, and quite frankly, I'm not sure I would wear it for any occasion other than Chinese New Year (where red and gold are the dominant colours).


I tried to make it as subtle as possible, so it's more wearable. I hope you guys enjoy!

Start with a gold eyeshadow base. I am using JK Jemma Kidd I-Radience Crème Colour in 01 Silk.


Then, pat a red shimmery eyeshadow on the outer corners of your eyes. I am using the gorgeous Illamasqua Pure Pigment in Ore from the Theatre of the Nameless collection.


Using a pencil brush, pat a light gold eyeshadow onto the inner corners of your eyes. I am using a gold eyeshadow from the Sleek i-Divine Palette in Storm.


Then, I used a pinky eyeshadow colour from the Sleek i-Divine Palette in Circus to blend the red and gold eyeshadows together.


Then, to mute the red down a little, pat a brown eyeshadow on top of the red. Then, blend the edges out with a fluffy blending brush. I used Urban Decay eyeshadow in Darkhorse for this, with a Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush.


If you like it the way it is, then you can skip this step. I patted a little more of the Illamasqua Pure Pigment in Ore on top of the brown eyeshadow to intensify the red a little more.


I then blended it out again with a blending brush.


Apply the same gold eyeshadow you used on the inner corners of your eyes, onto your lashline using a small pencil brush. I am using the Boots No7 Smoky Eyeliner Brush.


Line your eyes with an eyeliner pencil. I am using a great one - the Avon Supershock Gel Eyeliner in Black. It is a very intense black. Love it!


Smoke the line out with the eyeliner pencil, and wing it out slightly at the end.


Clean up underneath the eyes with a fluffy brush and a concealer. I am using Bourjois Healthy Mix Concealer in #52.


Apply blush to your cheeks. I am using Illamasqua Cream Blush in Seduce.


Powder your face. I used Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Powder.


Dust a little contour underneath your cheekbones. I used Bourjois Delice de Poudre in #51.


I intensified the eyeliner with a liquid eyeliner, from the Hello Kitty collection (in Priceline stores).

I then applied the Burberry Lip Cover in Beige Nude to finish the look.



And that's the finished look! I hope this was helpful! Have an awesome weekend, everyone!

You Might Also Like

14 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe