Foundation Review: Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I am back with another foundation review to add to my review series! This is a foundation that I am pretty excited about sharing with you - it's made the rounds in elite beauty-lover circles, but hasn't quite found its way into the mainstream.




The Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer is a cream foundation - the only cream foundation that I own at the moment. I am a huge fan of liquid foundations, but on special occasions I find myself reaching more and more for this, and here is why:

Packaging
To be honest, this is my least favourite kind of packaging. Then again, cream foundations tend to clog up pumps so I guess they didn't really have any other choice. It would be wise to have a little spatula in handy to scoop foundation out so you don't contaminate the rest of the foundation in the jar when you're using this.

Product
This is definitely a lot thicker than liquid foundations (duh), but still blends like a dream. With thicker liquid foundations, you feel a little bit of a tug on your skin when you're applying it with a foundation brush, because the foundation is difficult to buff into your skin and takes some 'spreading'. However, this one turns into this powdery texture once you start buffing, which makes the blending of it so easy and effortless.
This is only a tiny little 18g jar, but a little goes a long way, so it will last you quite a while.

I bought the colour SX05 - which matches my skin almost perfectly. I am a MAC NW20-25 and this is just a tiny bit yellow for me, but nothing that is too noticeable.



Performance
The finish of this is matte, with a lovely silky glow. I love this for special events because it keeps my slight oiliness in check (in fact, as my oil builds a little, the foundation gets more glowy and luminous - a plus side to wearing a semi-matte foundation) and provides great coverage. I adore the way my skin looks in photos when I use this foundation - I don't even have to use a highlighter because this gives me such naturally dewy, healthy-looking skin!
The best thing about this foundation, in my opinion, is the fact that it is extremely buildable - so this is great to double up as a concealer. I can buff it over large areas or spot conceal - it works perfectly both ways. This makes it extremely handy for travel, too.


The coverage is fantastic! Medium - full and very buildable, as I mentioned before. It doesn't cake even after a couple of layers, and stays put all day. Anything from large pores to blackheads to redness is covered beautifully, and with minimal effort.

I find it best to use this over a very moisturised base - look for a very emollient moisturiser or simply a dewy, moisturising primer.

Overall this is fast becoming one of my favourite foundations. It is a little pricey (I purchased mine via a friend overseas for AUD 55, shipping included) but I would definitely repurchase. LOVE this!

You Might Also Like

8 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe