Product Review: Lancôme x Alber Elbaz Hypnôse Doll Eyes Palette

Monday, August 12, 2013


Alber Elbaz is a fabulous, quirky designer with an eye for the unique. In an absolute stroke of genius, Lancôme has partnered with the designer and launched an entire makeup collection with his stamp on it - the Hypnôse Show -  and I was just lucky enough to receive the beautiful Hypnôse Doll Eyes palette for trial and to show you guys on my blog.

The palette comes packaged in a cute little box peppered with little eyes of Alber Elbaz's own design, and the magnetic closure palette is functional and sturdy.


Before I launch into my little gushing speech about this gorgeous baby, let me show you a couple of videos that I also showed on my Facebook page a little while back (you can follow me on Facebook for sale updates, brand news and little snapshots of my life) of the brand's introduction to the collaboration:



So the Doll Eyes palette is a collection of silvery taupes and light pinks, designed to enhance your eyes to give them a doll-like appearance. I absolutely adore this palette, because before this, all I'd been able to create was a warm tonal look, like the one I did in this tutorial on YouTube:



A cool-toned tonal look was just out of my reach, because it was so difficult to find the perfect silvery-taupe colour (a pure silver would look to stark on my neutral/warm skin), and everything just made me look incredibly washed out. These colours, on the other hand, have a beautiful balance between that gorgeous cool, ethereal silver, and browns with a more neutral purple undertone, shown in the swatches below:



With these gorgeous colours, I was able to create the look below:


In the pictures above, I am wearing the lightest silver colour (bottom row, middle column in the palette) all over my lid, with a little warm contour colour run through my crease. The warm contour really ties the look together and avoids that washed out look that warm-toned skin gets when cool-toned products are applied.

So to sum up the colours in the palette - I LOVE them. I cannot get enough of them. I want to wear them when I sleep.

Moving on to the shadows themselves, most of the shadows are quite smooth and buttery and easy to apply, save for the pink shimmer (this is also the lightest colour in the palette) which I haven't quite found a use for yet. It looks too shimmery when applied to the brow bone, and only serves to enhance the look of hooded eyes when I wear it on my lid. On the inner corners, it is unimpressive. When I find a use for it, I will update my Instagram or Facebook page, but for now, it sits unused in the palette.
These eyeshadows are also very pigmented, and easy to blend. I love how the silver really shows up on my skin (most light colours barely show any kind of effect).

I also did a slightly darker look with the palette, which I have turned into a mini-tutorial below. I hope you enjoy!


1. Sweep the lightest silver colour all over your lid, staying below the crease.

2. Using a fluffy eyeshadow brush, pick up the dark silver colour (second row, second column) and run it into the outer corners of your eyes in little circular motions. With whatever is remaining on your brush, run your brush into your crease, to create a little bit of a contour in that area.

3. With a smaller eyeshadow brush, pick up the darkest colour in the palette and run it along both your upper and lower lashlines. Then, pick up the same light silver colour that you placed all over your lids, and apply that to the centre of your lower lashline, and into the inner corners of your eyes. This will help open up your eyes a little bit and make them appear larger.

4. Apply a liquid eyeliner to your eyes, according to your eye shape. I added a wing here because I wanted more 'lift'.

5. Curl your lashes, apply mascara and false lashes. I skipped this part but it is essential to create a more polished, defined look!

The Hypnôse Show collection is now available in stores, so be sure to head in and check this beautiful collection out!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe