Makeup Basics: How to Prevent Your Eyeliner Smudging

Thursday, March 29, 2012

So when I first started wearing makeup, my biggest problem was that my damned eyeliner kept smudging and travelling onto my undereye area. I researched endlessly, trying to find a solution to this problem, and I found out a couple of tricks along the way. Here they are!


1. Use your concealer as a barrier
I'm not a big fan of this trick, because it requires that you pile on the concealer really thick. But on big nights out, I like to do this because it gives my face more definition - the concealer also serves as a highlighter to bring out the undereye area and sink the area underneath the cheekbones and the same time. Pictured above are my two current favourite concealers - the Bourjois Healthy Mix Concealer in #51 and the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in Pale Beige. Remember to set the concealer with a powder, or you risk having both the eyeliner and your concealer melt and move. I love using the Laura Mercier Translucent Loose powder or the Sleek Luminous Pressed Powder.



2. Set your eyeliner
You can also set your eyeliner to prevent it moving. You can do this by placing a powder on top of the eyeliner, or by sealing it with a liquid eyeliner. I love using a matte black eyeshadow (my favourite is from Sleek cosmetics) with an angled eyeliner brush, or a pencil brush. The liquid eyeliner I prefer is the Face of Australia Liquid Eyeliner - it does not budge, and is a beautiful raven black. The brush is also perfect for placing the product, and it seals the eyeliner perfectly.


3. Choose eyeliners that don't budge
I have also learned which eyeliners smudge the least, and which ones to avoid. I don't have a 'naughty' list for you, but I do have my star eyeliners to share: the Clinique Brush On Cream Liner in True Black, MAC's Fluidline in Blacktrack (not pictured), Face of Australia's Liquid Eyeliner, and Ellis Faas Creamy Eyes in E103. These are either cream, gel or liquid liners - they are the most long-lasting of the lot and that's why I use them. If you prefer that smudgy effect that kohl or pencil liners give you, you can simply use cream eyeliners and smudge them before they set, or smudge out some matte eyeshadow on top of the finished line - these will all still give you that stunning smoky effect, without the risk of smudging and melting.

I hope these little tips have helped. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me either in the comments or via email. And if you have any other tips to preventing eyeliner from smudging, I would love to hear them too!

You Might Also Like

7 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe