Makeup for Warm-Toned/Asian Skin: How to Choose the Right Colour and Avoid Looking Washed Out in Pictures

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I only very recently got into makeup. Don't get me wrong - I've always been a huge fan of makeup and have always tried to better my makeup application skills. It wasn't until I started this blog and started taking pictures of my 'work' when I started realising where I should improve, and what else I needed to learn.

Case in point? I had no idea that cool-toned makeup can sometimes ruin a makeup look. Here are a couple of pictures from about three years ago:



I had no idea that the frosty pink eyeshadow that I applied would make me look so sallow and washed out in pictures. God only knows what I looked like in real life.

But I am glad to report that Asian or warm toned skins can pull of frosty, cool-toned eyeshadows, with a little help.

Here's a little example below:


So how can Asian skin and warm-toned skin wear cool-toned makeup? Here are some tips and tricks:

  1. Always use a warm colour in your crease. This is important! You must make your overall look blend into your skin tone, and the best way to do that is by graduating your cool-toned eyeshadow using a warm contour colour. Find a matte brown eyeshadow that you like to use, and run that lightly into your crease.
  2. Keep the inside corner of your eyes free from cool-toned colours. Instead, run a gold highlight colour into the inner corners of your eyes. If you want to keep that area bare, that's up to you :)
  3. Wear mascara! Cool-toned eyeshadow can look overwhelming on warm toned skin, which can make your lids appear too large, and making your eyes appear small or droopy. Curling your eyelashes and wearing mascara counteracts this, keeping your eyes looking bright and awake.
  4. Apply a healthy, rosy blush to the apples of your cheeks. Keep the colour as high as possible to give your face a 'lifted' appearance. This adds colour where your skin might appear sallow from the cool tones.
  5. Start with sheer eyeshadows. If you are unsure of how to apply cool-toned eyeshadow, sheer eyeshadows are a great way to start. That way, your natural skin tone still shows through the eyeshadow.
Have any of you battled with the wrong makeup colours? Did you find ways to overcome this? I would love to hear your makeup tips!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe