My Essential Skincare Products for Winter

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Winter is a harsh season. Everything is freezing, your skin shrivels up and cracks from the dry air, and to make things worse, using heaters just sucks even more moisture out of the air and away from your skin. Dry skin means many things - susceptibility to scarring, wrinkles, flakes, and an overall lacklustre look.

Your skin needs to stay hydrated if it is going to maintain its dewy youthfulness and prevent future ageing, so I have put together a number of products that combat dry skin and promote that healthy suppleness that everyone's skin needs.


1. Ella Baché Hydra-Revitalising Créme de la Créme
This is a rich moisturiser, particularly suited to dry skins. I have combination skin, but I love using this at night. I also sometimes use a tiny amount in the mornings underneath my foundation, because I find that with a good moisturiser on, my foundation always looks less cakey and a lot more dewy. It also helps the foundation stick to the face.

2. Biotherm Aquasource Nuit High Density Hydrating Jelly
This is a product brand new to my nighttime routine and I am loving it so far. As the name suggests, it has a jelly-like texture that takes a while to absorb into the skin. It has a pretty strong (but pleasant) fragrance as well, and the best part about it is that once it absorbs, it leaves the skin feeling velvety smooth - no greasiness whatsoever. It also makes my skin feel plump and soft in the morning, which I love!

3. Kiehl's Rosa Arctica Youth Regenerating Cream
If you have a more mature or dehydrated skin, then this is definitely the product for you. This is an extremely thick, rich moisturiser that addresses anti-ageing concerns by delivering potent ingredients along with loads and loads of hydration to plump out those fine lines. I personally find this cream a little rich for my everyday use, but it is excellent for the night of and the morning after a big night out, when your skin needs hydration the most, or if you are using (either orally or topically) an anti-acne product, which dries out your skin like crazy. I am also packing this baby with me when I head up to the snow in a few weeks!


4. Clarins HydraQuench Cream Mask
This is also a product that is relatively new to my skincare routine, but boy do I love it! I went out a couple of nights in a row last week, and my skin was paying sorely for it in the days following. I had a couple of dry patches near my temples and mouth, and some really ugly-looking skin around a couple of old acne scars. As soon as I received this, I slapped it on and waited the 10 minutes it needed to work its magic, and emerged with dewy, smooth skin after. I was so relieved! A handy tip when using this - cover your face with a hot towel for a couple of minutes before applying this mask. It opens up your pores a little and helps this mask really absorb into your skin. Remember to prevent blackheads though, by using an exfoliant about twice a week.

5. Invisible Zinc Environmental Skin Protector Moisturiser SPF 30
People tend to overlook sunscreen in the winter months. In reality, UV rays are still out there, and can still harm your skin. This is a great moisturiser to use daily, and isn't too greasy on the skin the way some sunscreens can be. It has the typical sunscreen smell, but that disappears as soon as you apply foundation. Invisible Zinc does their homework when it comes to sunscreens and is definitely a good brand to check out if you're looking for a sunscreen. Be warned - these are physical sunscreens and can cause some flashback in photographs, so maybe choose another sunscreen on a day when you're getting your picture taken.

6. Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist
This is a great little pick-me-up when you're at the office or just out and about in general and don't have time for the full facial work-up. Jurlique makes a bunch of different types of facial mists, but this is one of my favourites because the Rosewater range (they also have a gorgeous cream cleanser and a moisturiser) is specifically formulated to moisturise your skin. Just spritz a little on your face and leave to dry, or pat in with clean hands. This also makes an amazing toner and smells sooo good! A word of warning - this might make you a little sleepy if you spritz it at work! That rosewater smell is way too calming!


7. L'Occitane Pivoine Delicate Hand Cream
Hand creams are a big YES if you want to keep yourself looking young - the hands and the neck are always the first places to show signs of ageing! This gorgeous hand cream is from L'Occitane's Pivoine Delicate collection and will be released in late August 2012. L'Occitane are known for their fabulous bodycare products and this hand cream does not disappoint! The smell is so pretty and floral, and it comes with a convenient dispenser so that you don't have to trouble yourself with removing the cap. I know we've all done that mad rummage through our purses when the hand cream/lipstick cap went missing in the abyss!

8. Kio Kio Bodycare Body Lotion
Body lotion is also very important - every single inch of your body should be well moisturised! Moisturiser also forms a really good barrier that helps prevent any further moisture loss. You all know my love for Kio Kio bodycare by now. This is my absolute favourite scent - the Rainforest and Koromiko. Love, love, LOVE this body lotion!! The best way to apply body lotion is immediately after the shower, when your pores are all nice and open and just begging for that lotion-y goodness!

9. Kiehl's Creme de Corps
No body lotion post is complete without a mention of this stuff. This body lotion has shot to cult fame because of its ability to tame cracks, flakes, and just about every other kind of skin damage that you see with dry skin. Kiehl's has also taken big chunks off their Australian prices, and this is just one of the many products that got a price makeover (whoop, whoop!).


10. Organix Hydrating Moroccan Argan Oil Dry Body Oil
Now this baby is my absolute favourite way to moisturise my skin at the moment! This dry body oil is so versatile - you can use it before you hop into the shower, after you hop out of the shower, or you can even infuse your bath with a few drops for an allover moisturising 'mask'. I absolutely love this because I can get a little lax with applying body lotion in the winter - I just cannot bring myself to uncover areas of my body and slather lotion on them with my bone-cold hands, and then cover them back up before the product has a chance to properly absorb into my skin (read: greasy clothing). This body oil is the perfect solution for me! I slather it on before my shower, put on a mask or cleanse my face and let this absorb into my skin a little first, then hop into the shower and hey presto! Soft, moisturised skin.

11. Alpha-H Age Delay Cleansing oil
Cleansers also need to be changed up in the winter. If you're using a foaming facial wash, it might be too harsh on your skin. This cleansing oil is a great way to balance things out - I like to do a two-step cleansing routine by using a cleansing oil followed by either a cream or a foaming cleanser. The reason why this cleansing oil is so appealing to me is because it has anti-ageing properties, and also because of its scent. I love applying something that smells like a gorgeous blend of essential oils - it's like a quickie aromatherapy session. That, coupled with the warm facecloth that you will need to remove this cleanser, is absolute heaven! This cleanser also distinguishes itself from other oil cleansers because of its texture - it does not come in a thick liquid form, but instead is more gel-like with a sugar granule look, which melts away into a smooth slick cream when applied to the skin. (Note: the image shown above is a sample pot that I was sent - the actual product comes in a 100ml tube)

That about sums up some of my favourite products to use in the winter! I hope you found this post helpful, and as always, if you have any questions, please let me know in the comments!

If you have any winter essentials that you'd like to share, please let me knoiw as well! I'm always on the lookout for skincare gems :)

You Might Also Like

11 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe