Mineral Makeup: What Can it Do For You?

Thursday, November 15, 2012


You may all have heard or read interviews and magazine articles on mineral makeup. It is said that mineral makeup is the same as bare skin, and in some cases can be better than bare skin. Mineral makeup is said to allow the skin to breathe whilst still providing good, buildable coverage.

I agree that mineral makeup is much lighter than regular foundation, and when I wear it I don't have to worry about breaking out at the end of the day. However, I don't agree that mineral foundation is better than bare skin, and I will share with you why in a moment.

I had the pleasure of trialling some mineral makeup products from a few different brands recently, and I wanted to share with you my thoughts on them:

Bloom Mineral Makeup


Mineral Plus Liquid Foundation: This is perfect for someone with combination skin, as it provides both oil control and a more dewy finish than regular powder mineral foundations.

Pure Mineral Powder Foundation (brown cover) & b Collection by Bloom Pure Mineral Foundation with spf 15: Both these powder foundations give you an amazingly lovely finish. They are both very finely milled, and contain what looks like minuscule opalescent pigments that give the skin a subtle but beautiful sheen. These are my absolute favourite mineral foundations at the moment - I can't get enough of them!
I am happy to report that the Pure Mineral Powder Foundation does not contain Zinc Oxide, which I will tell you a little more about at the end of this post.

Vani-T Mineral Cosmetics


Mineral Powder Foundation: This foundation is better for those with more flawless skin, as the coverage is very sheer. There are also fine bits of shimmer in this foundation, which I think would look a little out of place in the daytime, but would look amazing at night, especially in flash photography.

Mineral Diamond Dust: This is an absolutely amazing, beautiful product! It is made of pure, cool-gold shimmer, and instantly brightens the skin. Because the product comes in such a large container, this will last you forever, and you can use it on other parts of your body to add shimmer. I love applying this to my legs because they look much healthier, and the shimmer elongates them. I recommend mixing this into your foundation or lotion, so that the shimmer doesn't fall down and get onto places you don't want shimmer getting onto ;)

Alexami Cosmetics


Mineral Foundation Powder: I find this foundation the best one to use for oily skin. It has amazing oil control, but has shimmer particles in it to balance out the mattifying effect of the powder. I wouldn't recommend using this in the daytime, though, because the shimmer particles are large enough that they will catch the light. This is a foundation best used for nights out and photography.

Mineral Blush: This is one of my favourite mineral makeup products! The colour I have is Candy Pink, and it is a beautiful peachy pink colour that is perfect for everyday.

One thing important to note about mineral makeup products is that most of them contain Zinc Oxide, which has come under a lot of debate recently because of its usefulness in products like mineral makeup and sunscreen, but its potential to do harm to the body and skin. What I recommend is wearing your mineral foundation only when you need to, and washing your face properly just as you would with any other foundation. Do not leave foundation on your skin if it doesn't need to be there, as any kind of foundation can clog your pores and cause breakouts and congestion.

You Might Also Like

16 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe