My Top 3 Undereye Concealers

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Concealers are a difficult product to get right, particularly undereye concealers. They need to:

- Keep the undereye area hydrated
- NOT settle into the fine lines under the eyes
- Be lightweight and thin so there is no caking
- Neutralise the purple/green undertones in dark circles

After trialling countless concealers, I have narrowed my favourites down to three fabulous products. Here they are:


1. Giorgio Armani High Precision Retouch
This is probably my absolute favourite out of the three - an extremely lightweight, light reflecting concealer that does wonders for the undereye area.
Because of its light texture, it neither cakes nor settles into fine lines underneath the eyes. But despite its lightness, it is still extremely pigmented and a little bit goes a long way. This concealer contains a small amount of light-reflecting pigments, so make sure not to over-apply it, especially if you're going to be under the sun or in flash photography.

Something I don't like about this concealer is the packaging - Giorgio Armani hasn't engineered it quite right - because the concealer keeps leaking into the edges of the screw top cover, making a mess every time I open it up. The applicator also irks me a little - I'm not sure why they've done it this way, but the applicator is extremely thin (quite like a fine eyeliner brush), making it difficult to disperse the product appropriately across my undereye area.

2. Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer 
Coming in a close second is the Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer - well known for its wide range of colours and creamy, hydrating texture. I originally purchased this for the rest of my face, which is why I didn't purchase it in a different undertone. What is so fabulous about this range of concealers is that they have the precise undertones that you need to counteract the dark circles underneath your eyes.

A little tip when it comes to looking for an appropriate undereye concealer for your dark circles: if you have purple dark circles, wear a yellow-toned concealer. If you have bluish circles, look for a peachy toned concealer. And finally, if you have green circles, look for a pink-toned concealer.

This concealer blends beautifully into the skin. I use it with a fluffy blending brush, and then pat it in with my fingers to warm the product up and help it blend into my skin. It is so pigmented and doesn't settle into fine lines, either. It is much thicker than the other concealers in this list, but it somehow works really well.

The downside to this concealer is that it can be a little rich for some people. Though your undereye area should be well-hydrated when you apply concealer, if you have very oily skin, it might be best to get a sample of this and try it out set with a powder before you buy.

3. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer
I have actually reviewed this concealer in a previous post, and it is still one of my favourites. It is equally as lightweight as the Giorgio Armani concealer, only slightly less pigmented. Don't get me wrong, though! Most light-reflecting concealers are quite sheer and don't quite cover dark circles, but the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind does. It looks very natural on the skin, and does not cake or settle into fine lines.

I use the colour 02 Light. There is a 'brightener' version of this concealer, but I wouldn't recommend it because it is a lot less pigmented than the normal concealers, and doesn't counteract the undertones in dark circles.

The sponge applicator is less than ideal because it does raise some hygiene issues, but other than that, I love what you get for the price!

I will be reviewing these concealers and many more in more detail on my blog, but I hope you enjoyed this post!

You Might Also Like

5 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe