What's in My Makeup Bag: My Quick, Everyday Makeup

Monday, May 20, 2013

Ever since landing in Malaysia, I've had to adapt to many different things. Despite having lived in Malaysia for more than half my life, my time in Melbourne has made me soft. I've had to adjust to the food here (hello, food poisoning!), the weather, and the people.

One of the changes I've made is my makeup. Being exposed to so many Asian brands here, I naturally went a little crazy, but I've whittled it down to a select few products that I now wear on an everyday basis, for a simple, no-fuss, 5-minute makeup.



If, like me, you have very little time in the mornings to prepare for the long work day ahead, try these makeup products :)


Anastasia Beverly Hills Beauty Express Kit in Brunette
Brows are my one guilty pleasure - I spend most of the time I allocate for makeup on perfecting my brows. Lien's fabulous ebook has only fuelled my obsession with my eyebrows, and I have been using the Anastasia kit non stop for precise lines and a gorgeous defined finish.

I generally leave the Anastasia brow kit at home after I'm done using it, and these are the actual makeup products that I keep in my bag:


Diorskin Nude Compact in 022
This is a good coverage foundation powder that I absolutely adore using to set my concealer. It provides a little extra coverage so that all your flaws are fully concealed, and stays put like your life depended on it! It even comes with a little brush with one 'high coverage' side and one 'sheer coverage' side, so if you were so inclined, you could adjust the amount of powder you deposit onto your skin.

Clinique Airbrush Concealer in 04 Neutral Fair
This is by far the best illuminating undereye concealer I have come across. It is not too high in coverage, but is buildable and disguises dark undereye circles well. I like that it is so quick and easy to apply, and always manages to immediately brighten my eyes no matter how little I apply.

Physicians Formula Custom Eye Enhancing Eyeliner Trio
This set of 3 eyeliners has great value, and (including Australis, which I also carry interchangeably with this eyeliner) has one of the best drugstore eyeliners I have ever come across. It is creamy (just make sure never to lose the cap on this!), glides on like a dream, and has just the right amount of pigment for a defined, natural, everyday look. I am currently using the brown (because I've run out of my favourite black), and I really wish Physicians Formula would sell these in singles, so I could buy up all the blacks and hoard them here in Malaysia!

Biore UV Perfect Face Milk
The number one selling sunscreen brand in Japan does not disappoint! There are many versions of this sunscreen, and I purchased a brightening version - the SPF 50+ PA+++ Perfect Face Milk. This sunscreen is incredibly lightweight, glides smoothly onto the skin, and immediately dries down to a velvety matte finish. And when I say matte, I mean bone-dry matte! This is the only sunscreen I know of that has such an incredibly velvety finish - it's like I didn't apply anything onto my skin at all! Though it sounds drying, it actually isn't, and sits comfortably on my Mom's dry skin as well.

Majolica Majorca Lash Enamel Glamour Volume On Mascara
Majolica Majorca mascaras have always been a favourite of mine, and this one will continue to make its rotations in my makeup bag (I've gone through 3 tubes of this already), but I've also discovered a new love - the Kiss Me Volume & Curl Mascara (reviewed in full here). 


This mascara gives me much more volume than the Majolica Majorca (which I love) and though it can get a little clumpy if not applied carefully, it is fast becoming my favourite mascara. I am not a big fan of brown mascaras, so when I run out of this I am definitely repurchasing this in Black.

Daniel Sandler Watercolour Blush in Cherub
It's no secret how much I love this blush, as I have continuously raved about it in many a blogpost and YouTube video. One of the reasons why I love it so much is because it is easy to mix in with my concealer to create a cheek colour that's perfect for concealing blemishes (see my blemish concealing video tutorial here). Another reason is that it is incredibly easy to blend (just use fingers). Yet another reason? It lasts. Enough said.

Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage in SC2
This is my holy grail acne concealer. And this time I can say it with conviction. I've tried many other concealers out there, and though some come close (one that comes to mind is the Vichy-Dermablend Foundation stick), this is still my absolute favourite. It is pigmented, waxy, and very easy to blend on top of a blemish. Once set with a powder, this lasts a pretty long time, too!


My new favourite everyday lip product is the Lanolips Lip Ointment in Rose Pink. It contains SPF (always a plus), and nudes my lips out a little (another big plus), plus, it's very moisturising and has helped me combat my dry winter-ragged lips.

You may have noticed that I didn't include foundation in my list - I haven't been using foundation simply because my skin hasn't needed it (don't get me wrong, I still need concealer to conceal my acne, but my acne is pretty concentrated in a couple of areas and the rest of my face doesn't need much evening out), which is great, because this hot Malaysian weather can really make you sweat!


So that's my makeup overall - I hope you all enjoyed this post, and found a little something that might help you in some way. If you have any questions, let me know in whichever way you prefer. Thanks for reading! x

You Might Also Like

8 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe