Product Review: Dior Bird of Paradise 2013 Summer Collection

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Hello everyone! I know it's been a while since I posted anything, and I apologise for that. It's been a total whirlwind in Malaysia, and I've been so busy getting my things together!

Today I'm sharing a little preview of the beautiful Summer 2013 collection from Dior - Bird of Paradise. I was sent a couple of products to review, and I just wanted to share some absolutely gorgeous swatches of the products with you.

This collection is called Bird of Paradise, and it features some beautiful, bright colours that remind me of the movie Rio, except much more vibrant and in real life.


First up we have the lip products - the Dior Addict in On the Beach (1 of 4 colours), and the Jelly Lip Pen in Gaia (1 of 4 colours). The clear winner for me is the Dior Jelly Lip Pen in Gaia, a pretty, sheer, deep pink colour that comes out beautifully on the lips. The Dior Addict comes in a beautiful, slightly more opaque and hydrating formula. On the Beach is a coral colour that flatters both very fair and very warm skin tones. Here are a couple of quick swatches of both these products on my arm.

Photographed in daylight

I was also sent the Nude Tan Blush Duo in Pink Glow, and oh my gosh this is a beautiful product! Both colours are very, very flattering on my skin, and are neutral enough that they match both warm and cool skin tones. If you lean very warm, or have a darker skin tone, you might want to look at the Coral Glow version in the collection, which as the name suggests, leans more orange.


The duo blush comes boxed along with the cutest little kabuki brush, which feels really well made and blends the contour beautifully along my cheekbones.


Another star product in this collection for me, is the beautiful 5 Couleurs eyeshadow palette in Blue Lagoon. It contains 5 seafoam-y shades that didn't really impress me when I first opened the palette, but once I actually applied them, I found out that the green tones in the palette really complimented my fair, slightly warm skin, and really brightened my eyes. I absolutely love this, and I cannot recommend it enough! Even if you think you wouldn't wear colours like this, go in store and have them apply it for you - you will change your mind, I'm sure of it!


The swatches below show a more blue version of the palette - it actually has a lot more green to it than pictured.


Also in this collection are two Dior Nail Vernis duos - cute little 7ml bottles packaged into a single box. I was sent the Bahia duo, a dark blue-green coupled with a bright fuchsia.


I also received a brush (I absolutely love makeup brushes and I hoard brushes like a madwoman) and it is so beautiful! Its bristles are a vibrant red with a hint of orangey undertones, and it picks up the blush beautifully. I have to admit, it's not the softest brush I've used, and because I need to take care when applying powder blush onto my skin (because I have acne and the concealer might get brushed off if I just sweep the blush on), it's not ideal. It does pick up the blush really well though, so I am looking forward to using it once I get rid of my acne and concealer is no longer an issue.

I photographed these products in two FOTDs so you can get a better idea of how these products show up on the skin, and what they look like overall. First I did a simple daytime look:


This look was done using the contour in the Pink Glow duo in my eye crease and to contour my nose and cheekbones, and the bottom right and left colours in the Blue Lagoon palette. I applied a wash of the Pink Glow blush onto my cheeks using the amazing Summer Brush. I then applied the Gaia Jelly Lip Pencil on my lips. In case you were wondering, on my skin is the Diorsnow BB Cream (reviewed here). And here is a close up of the look:


Then later on I graduated this look into night by adding on the darkest colour in the Blue Lagoon palette on the outer corners of my eyes, and smoked out my eyeliner, and added a more concentrated contour colour into my eye crease.
I also added a lighter lip colour as a base to lighten my lips before applying the Gaia Jelly Lip Pencil on top of it. I absolutely love this combination and have been using it almost daily since I discovered it.



I hope you guys enjoyed this review. The Dior Bird of Paradise Sumer 2013 Collection is out and available in stores now! Will you buy anything from this collection?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe