Concealing Acne: My Favourite Concealers

Monday, March 05, 2012


Happy Monday, everyone! I got a lot of emails about concealers for acne recently, because of my post about concealing cheek acne. So I decided to put together a little list with swatches of the concealers that I use. Here they are!

1. MAC Select Moisturecover in NC25
My first ever MAC concealer! I went in store and the sales rep matched me without even swatching concealers - which I should have taken as a bad sign, because when I got home and put it on my skin, the colour came out a dark yellow. I still use this when I am using slightly darker foundation, because I like the way this concealer looks, and the coverage it gives when I am concealing acne.
This comes in a little bottle, as you can see in the above picture. It has a doe footed applicator, much like the kinds you see on most lipglosses. It is very moisturising and quite light, but also moves around a lot. I set all my concealers with a powder, but this one doesn't quite set completely. The coverage of this concealer, I would say, is about medium. It covers my small blemishes well, but larger, more red blemishes are not as easily covered and need a higher coverage concealer. It covers the undereye area very well, especially if it is layered underneath a more matte concealer. The finish of this concealer is dewy.

2. Bourjois Healthy Mix Concealer in 52
This is my go-to concealer. It dispenses from a tube with a plastic, angled applicator at the end. It has a matte finish, and because of that care needs to be taken when applying this to the undereye. Make sure that your undereye area is well moisturised before applying this concealer, otherwise you might end up with slight creasing. This concealer sets almost immediately upon application, and though it lasts a tad bit longer with powder, does not need to be set with powder.
This concealer has a medium to full coverage. It covers blemishes well, and because of its consistency, works very well with other cream products if you need to conceal in an area that needs to be covered with other makeup, like on your eyelid or cheek area. With this concealer, you need to make sure that the area that you are concealing is highly moisturised, because it will settle into fine lines and wrinkles.

3. Face of Australia Stick Foundation in Outback Beige
This is slightly dark for my skin colour, but when I do a look that is a little tan, this serves as a very convenient concealer. It is a stick foundation, but when applied with a small concealer brush, covers very well. Because it is so thick, the coverage is very full. This sets with some powder, but still tends to move around a little because of how thick it is. I recommend using this for spot concealing because that is where it is most effective as a concealer.

4. Vichy Dermablend Ultra Corrective Cream Stick in Opal
I'm sure everyone has heard of the Vichy Dermablend range. I find that this concealer is good, but not as good as people make it out to be. The coverage is medium to full, and it sets well with a little powder. One issue I have with this is that it can be very chalky-looking. It will suit anyone with a cool skin tone, but those of us with neutral to warm skin tones should be wary of the colours we choose and where we apply it.

5. Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Concealer in 20
This is the latest addition to my collection of concealers. It is very lightweight, and has a light to medium coverage. I usually use this on my undereye area, and sometimes, if I get lazy, on my acne as well. This has a  twist-to-dispense sponge applicator attached to the top. It makes application very easy, and I haven't experience any product buildup on the sponge tip. However, it isn't the most hygienic of applicators, as I'm sure most of you have realised.

6. Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Powder
I use this powder to set all my concealer. I just realised that the Face of Australia Loose Powder also does an amazing job setting concealer, and that I completely forgot to photograph it for this post. Both these powders are very light and finely milled, and don't flash back or leave ugly white marks on the skin.

Here are swatches of the above-mentioned concealers:


I tend to buff and blend concealer over my problem areas, and have recently also started spot concealing because I have realised that this method helps the concealer last longer when I need to conceal blemishes. Shown below are the brushes that I generally use for concealing:

L-R: Sigma SS24, NP Set Lip Brush, Real Techniques Detailer Brush

I use the fluffy brush for blending out concealer over generally problematic areas and over my undereye area. The other two brushes I have started using recently for spot concealing, and they do a good job packing the concealer onto my blemishes. I then blend the concealer out by lightly patting the concealer with my ring finger.

I hope this has helped! If you know of any concealer that does a good job, please let me know as I am always on the lookout for good concealers for my blemishes! If you have any questions, please also let me know and I will do my best to help :)

You Might Also Like

13 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe