How I Clean My Makeup Brushes

Thursday, January 10, 2013

You all probably already know that makeup brushes are capable of breeding massive, disgusting amounts of bacteria. Cleaning your brushes regularly is essential if you want to avoid problems like acne and eye infections.



Cleaning makeup brushes is very simple. Here are some tips that you may or may not already know.

- Deep clean your brushes at least once a month

- To deep clean your brushes, simply place your brush cleansing solution into a wide, shallow dish, and swirl your brush into the solution to clean it. Then, under running water, swirl your brush into the palm of your hand to remove the dirt, makeup, and cleansing solution. Repeat until the water in your palm runs clear.

- Be careful to stay away from the ferrule of the brush (the metal part holding the hair), because wetting the ferrule can loosen the hairs and cause a lot of fall out.

- Spot clean your brushes each time you use them. To spot clean, spritz some brush cleanser directly onto the brush hairs, then swirl the brush onto a clean towel (or wipe) to clean.

- Once cleaned, brush hairs should be squeezed gently with a clean, dry towel. Then, place the brushes, laying them flat, onto the towel, preferably with the hairs sticking out over the edge of the counter, so that they dry all over. Doing this prevents excess moisture from seeping into the ferrule and allowing mould to grow.

Here are some products that I use to clean my makeup brushes, and that I have been absolutely loving.


Daiso Sponge Detergent
This is the product that the entire beauty blogosphere has been buzzing about for a while now. I purchased mine in Malaysia, and have been using it non-stop ever since. This deep cleans makeup brushes beautifully and effectively, and keeps the bristles nice and soft. Deep cleaning should be done once a month, at the very least, to get rid of bacteria lingering deep within the bristles of your brushes.
I also like to mix a few products in with this - pure mineral water, a teeny, tiny bit of alcohol, and a cheapie hair conditioner, to spritz onto my brushes before I spot clean them right after they are used. It works beautifully, and I have the added benefit of nice-smelling brushes ;p


Dove Beauty Bar
Another product that I love to use for deep cleaning is the Dove Beauty Bar. I learned this method from the gorgeous Kimmi at ThePlasticDiaries, and this is the method I use when I go on extended trips (usually to visit home), or when I can't be bothered with the Daiso detergent. I was lucky enough to get a couple of sample-sized bars in goodie bags, and I am loving how convenient they are!
All you have to do is swirl the brush under running water onto the soap bar, and your brushes are thoroughly cleansed and remain nice and soft. Another plus point? These beauty bars are SO affordable!


Makeup Removing Wipes
These products are my absolute favourite for spot-cleaning brushes. I spot-clean my brushes every time I use them, and makeup removing wipes are so convenient to have whilst I am applying my makeup. I clean my brushes, my hands, and remove any makeup mistakes with these wipes.
As mentioned earlier, I have a simple spray formula that I mix up using the Daiso detergent, which I spritz onto my brushes, then swirl into these wipes to cleanse and dry them slightly, and then I place them lying down with the bristles sticking out over the edge of my makeup drawers to dry.
My current favourite makeup removing wipes? The Dove Beauty Cleansing Wipes. These are very gentle but effective, and don't contain alcohol (since my spray already contains alcohol, I don't want to overload my brushes with alcohol unnecessarily).

I hope this post was helpful! x

You Might Also Like

4 comments

Flickr Images

Subscribe